Subscribe for Updates

Read Endeavour Magazine

Coffee Break

5 Dangerous Electrical Hazards

A lot of electrical faults can’t be seen. Exposed wires can cause electric shocks when you see them, but kept hidden in walls, the sparks from unconnected live wires can cause a fire. Electrical Installation Condition Report will go beyond what can be seen and test a building’s electrical installations and circuit accessories.

Exposed Wires

Exposed wires are one of the few electrical hazards that can be seen. There isn’t any way of knowing whether they’re live without touching them unless they’re sending up sparks. An exposed live wire can result in a pretty nasty electric shock. At worst they can cause an injury so bad it requires medical attention or even death. They can also result in a fire. It is best to assume all exposed wires are live and do not touch them. Unplug the appliance or if it is a wire in a building, switch off the electricity to that area. Then phone an electrician. Do not try to fix it yourself.

Wet Hands

This is something for personal responsibility. If you get an electric shock or worse due to operating electrical equipment, including light switches, with wet hands, it is your own fault. Water and electricity do not mix. Water can’t even be used to put out electrical fires. If you try, you might get electrocuted. It is your responsibility to dry your hands before touching any electrical equipment.

Faulty Appliances

Anyone can notice a frayed wire on a kettle or other break room appliance, but sometimes the wires are hidden. How often do you see microwave cords leading to the socket? Frayed wires aren’t the only danger lurking in portable appliances. All appliances require regular PAT testing.

PAT testing goes beyond the frayed wires and checks underneath the plug top. The fuses and connections are checked, and wires tightened. If an appliance has a frayed wire, it should be brought out of use and either repaired or replaced. If an appliance is malfunctioning, it should be unplugged and remain unused until a trained electrician inspects it.

Old Wiring

Wires, like anything else, breakdown over time. A building’s wires can’t be seen, or shouldn’t be seen. The wires may be loose. Live wires may not be connected to anything. Old wiring presents a fire hazard, which can lead to loss of life. Buildings should be rewired. You can have extra sockets put in at the same time to cut extension use.

Lack of Emergency Lights

Although it would be pleasant to live in a world where nothing bad ever happens, and all electrical faults are discovered and fixed, that doesn’t always happen. Emergency light systems should be installed in every building; this includes homes, should the mains fail. This ensures everyone can escape in an emergency. When plunged into darkness, even the most familiar of buildings become disorientating.

Some electrical hazards are apparent. Anyone can notice a frayed wire and should know not to touch. Some are simple oversights. Others require a trained electrician to spot.